Now Boarding (Bloodshed)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Now Boarding (Bloodshed)

Post  Steven Rausch on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:39 am

A man sits alone at an airport bar. Huge panoramic windows show the happenings of the outer terminal to his right as he contemplates the contents of a glass in front of him, gripping it tightly with both hands. The world seems to move around him as he sits stoically, people running to and fro with ever-more ridiculous amounts of baggage. He appears to be the only person in the terminal not in a rush to get anywhere.
-
Behind the bar, a new bartender walks in after a shift change. He pours a few beers for a small group of travellers and then notices the mystery man sitting by himself. Grasping his glass of spirits, the man has shoulder-length sandy brown hair pouring out from under a white sailor's cap, bronzed anchor on the front and all. He wears large aviator sunglasses, tinted amber. The bartender approaches the quiet man, hoping for a conversation that leads to a transaction.
-
Bartender: "Hello there! What ya got in the glass? Need another?"
-
Mystery Traveller: "This right here is the finest bourbon you have available, which unfortunately in this case is Elijah Craig. Nothing to sneeze at, mind you, but a bar that showcases a wheated bourbon first and foremost is a bar that to me doesn't know how to stock its shelves.
-
And no, I don't need another at the moment."
-
All of this was spoken into the glass, rather than to the bartender himself. Feeling the negative energy emanating from the surly drinker, the bartender presses the issue.
-
Bartender: "Alright. You seem like a man who's not enjoying his day. May I ask what's going wrong?"
-
Mystery Traveller: "Oh, you got that, huh?
-
Without getting too deep or esoteric, let's just say I missed my flight."
-
Bartender: "Ah, bummer. Mind if I ask where you're heading?"
-
Mystery Traveller: "Britain. Got work over there."
-
Bartender: "Oh really? What do you do for work?"
-
The mystery traveller nods toward the TV fitted into the backbar amidst a colorful array of bottles topped with speed pourers. It shows a replay of the Carnage in Ring broadcast of Infamy from July 5th, 2017. The match being shown is the evening's main event, a one-fall match between Carnage Heavyweight Champion Jimmy James and his opponent Sammy South. The bartender's eyes go wide in sudden understanding.
-
Bartender: "Oh, you're a wrestler?"
-
The traveller's eyebrows indicate an affirmative response, but he nods twice more toward the television.
-
Bartender: "Wait, you wrestle for CiR?"
-
Mystery Traveller: "Well, not yet..."
-
Bartender: "You mean to tell me you're going to wrestle for CiR, but you missed your flight?"
-
The man's disbelief is palpable.
-
Mystery Traveller: "That appears to be the state of it, yeah."
-
Bartender: "Man, I would not want to be in your shoes. Do you have another flight scheduled?"
-
The traveller no stares transfixed at the flickering images on the TV.
-
Mystery Traveller: "I do indeed, my friend. No worries."
-
Bartender: "Well that's a plus. When do you leave?"
-
As the bartender finishes his question, an announcement is made over the airport's PA system.
-
Public Address: "Would our esteemed guest Sweeney Antoine please make his way to gate A27. Again, would Sweeney Antoine please make his way to gate A27. The plane is loaded and ready, just waiting for you."
-
Mystery Traveler: "That's me. Sweeney Antoine's the name, and procrastinating's the game."
-
He reaches across the bar to shake the bartender's hand. The bartender accepts, but with a quizzical look on his face.
-
Bartender: "Man, that's all the way across the terminal! What are you doing?!"
-
Sweeney Antoine continues to stare at the match on the television, paying particular attention to the movements of Jimmy James and Sammy South.
-
Sweeney Antoine: "It looks like I'm staying for another round, friend."
-
Bartender: "But you're going to miss your flight... again. I'm just going to go ahead and give you your check..."
-
Sweeney Antoine: "No, no, no, man. I'm not worried; it's all just smooth sailing. I'll get there when I get there. Now, let's see how Mr. Craig's doing this time around."
-
The bartender cautiously refills his whiskey as Sweeney lets the wryest of smiles cross his lips, never taking his eyes off of the match before him.
Steven Rausch

View user profile http://www.wordswithrausch.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top