Quiet Time (Infamy)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Quiet Time (Infamy)

Post  Steven Rausch on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:21 am

The camera pans down an empty hallway in the basement of the Carnage in Ring arena. It faces one wall as it slides from left to right, passing door after door with Extreme Rewards VI promotional posters hanging in the free wall space between rooms.
-
The camera moves slowly enough to allow the viewers to see the room numbers on each door as it passes:
-
-
-
-
-
-
919. The camera stops and inches closer to the door. An odd quiet rests in the air of what should be an otherwise show-day arena basement, and that very quiet appears to be constant in the room beyond the door.
-
Suddenly, the camera shifts to a vantage within the room itself. The classroom within is fully occupied, as students sit in each desk, their heads down and feet swinging freely above the floor. The camera rests toward its back wall, shooting from the middle of the room's center aisle. In the front, and farthest away from the camera, a large mahogany desk takes up the entire left side. Gleaming from its desktop is a gilded plaque, clearly showing the name "Mr. Rausch" for all to see.
-
Seated behind the desk is the eponymous teacher himself, staring at the door - rather, through the door - with his hands folded in his lap and long legs outstretched before him. The lights in the room have been dimmed, and it appears that the children are being encouraged to nap as their instructor loses himself in silent thought.
-
Steven Rausch: "But this can't be it, right?"
-
The room silent no more, one of the more precocious young ladies raises her head and attempts to answer Mr. Rausch's rhetorical question.
-
Girl: "What can't, Mr. Rausch?"
-
Steven Rausch: "Brubaker, you know it's quiet time. You go ahead and put your head down and let Mr. Rausch get some thoughts out quietly, okay?"
-
Little Miss Brubaker nods in agreement and puts her head back down. Steven Rausch smiles at her, but as soon as her head hits her crossed hands, he once again returns to his process of thinking out loud, ruining the concept of quiet time for all involved.
-
Steven Rausch: "I mean, I was supposed to win the Carnage Rumble. I had momentum on my side. I had fan support. I had a very favorable draw. I had the right mindset. All parts of the equation added up to yours truly being placed in the main event of Extreme Rewards VI. But instead...
-
Poof.
-
One minute I'm on my way, and the next I've got a thumb in my eye, and the next I'm on the floor of the arena."
-
He shrugs his shoulders as some students tilt their heads slightly to better hear their teacher's soliloquy.
-
Steven Rausch: "So how did we get here? How did such a proven equation lead to anything but its expected answer?
-
For starters, I have to look at my training. Was I really ready to come back from my injury? Should I have chanced it at all?"
-
Unable to overcome instinctive, studious programming, Brubaker's head once again shoots up as she robotically answers her instructor's call.
-
Miss Brubaker: "You said that the 'bone fused under the scalp,' Mr. Rausch. You told everyone you were all healed up."
-
Steven Rausch: "Quiet time, Brubaker.
-
And if not due to ill health, then how was I taken off guard? Was I unprepared for Rated RS' own personal brand of offense?"
-
Miss Brubaker: "You also told everyone that you thought Rated RS was in the fight for the wrong reasons, which indicates you'd fairly scouted him prior to the Rumble."
-
Steven slowly turns his head toward Miss Brubaker, a look mixing anger and disbelief washing over his face.
-
Steven Rausch: "Quiet. Time."
-
[color:2f75=#ffffffMiss Brubaker obediently drops her head back to her hands. Mr. Rausch continues to stare at the crown of head for a few seconds to ensure that the sanctity of quiet time can no longer be violated.
-
Steven Rausch: "No, no, this can only be a statement to the odds I'd actually had in the fight. That many athletes, that many blind spots... Man, I should've listened to Mr. Harvey. Anything really can happen in the Rumble.
-
But what does that mean for me? Am I destined to one-off every major CiR event moving forward? Am I nothing more than a past-his-prime novelty to be trotted out for matches with no stakes, indefinitely?
-
I didn't come back here for this. I came back for stakes. I came back for glory. I came back for... justice. What the heck do I do from here?"
-
Now it's Steven Rausch who lowers his head to the top of his desk, wallowing in his post-Rumble blues. Again, Miss Brubaker shoots up at her desk and takes her educator to task.
-
Miss Brubaker: "Maybe you're right, Mr. Rausch. Maybe you should have listened to Mr. Harvey when he brought up the odds of victory.
-
But you know what you always say about history: we can't live in the past; we can only use it as a roadmap forward.
-
You have to learn from your past, Mr. Rausch. You have to do things differently. Do you know where I'd start?
-
I'd listen to Mr. Harvey."
-
She crosses her arms over her chest in a sort of "What now?" motion as her teacher keeps his head on his desk. Staring only at the tile floor, he responds loudly.
-
Steven Rausch: "What about quiet time do you not understand, Brubaker?
-
-
-
I'm beginning to fear I've over-educated you all in conversational logic. But you make a very fine point here.
-
My road forward from this mishap is paved in matches; lots of them. The only way I get booked is when the general manager thinks I should be. I've got to convince him that I'm good for this company's future.
-
So, if you'll all excuse me, I'm going to step into the hallway to schedule an appointment. When I return, we're going to review the tenets of quiet time and see where we've all gone wrong."
-
He gets up and leaves the room, phone in hand, as Miss Brubaker and the rest of the student body sigh exasperatedly.
Steven Rausch

View user profile http://www.wordswithrausch.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top