First Person Emphatic (Bloodshed)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First Person Emphatic (Bloodshed)

Post  Steven Rausch on Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:00 pm

Backstage, the camera finds Sweeney Antoine facing a wall. His left hand runs through his longish sandy hair dangling freely from under his sailor's cap. As the camera approaches him from behind and peers over his shoulder, it shows that a whiteboard is affixed to the wall before him. He runs the index finger of his right hand down the whiteboard, muttering to himself.
-
Sweeney Antoine: "Bayou Gator...
-
Nolan...
-
Lyuboslav the Greatest?
-
All of these nobodies get matches, but there's no room at the inn for Sweeney Antoine? This just isn't right."
-
He scratches at the back of his neck with his left hand as he shakes his head, apparently trying to rearrange Bloodshed's booking card with his mind and give himself a match.
-
???: "Do you always speak in the third person when you question your station in life?"
-
The theatrical, high-pitched voice comes from just to the right of the camera's frame. As Sweeney turns to face the newcomer, so too does the camera, revealing a crazy-haired bearded man in a flowing brown robe cinched at the waist with a piece of frayed cord. Brother Thelonius waxes his mustache to two fine points as he stares seemingly through Sweeney Antoine, his eyes as wild as ever.
-
Brother Thelonius: "I myself prefer the FIRST PERSON EMPHATIC voice when I speak about my place in the world around me.
-
Or when I dream about TAKING OVER that very same world.
-
Or when I decide how much avocado my INSANELY-EXPENSIVE BREAKFAST TOAST requires..."
-
Sweeney stares blankly at Brother Thelonius as he continues listing the times he chooses to yell for no apparent reason. Suddenly, Sweeney's eyes go wide and he cocks his head to the left.
-
Sweeney Antoine: "Oh yeah! You're that guy that let me ride on his pegs a while back. That was fun."
-
Brother Thelonius: "That guy? THAT GUY?!
-
I am known by some as Brother Thelonius...
-
And I am known by others as Brother Thelonius still.
-
And you are correct in qualifying that fateful day as fun one. We had HAND-CHURNED ICE CREAM."
-
Sweeney Antoine: "Yeah... that happened.
-
But hey man, I think I remember that you and I got signed to CiR around the same time. Have you had a match yet?"
-
Brother Thelonius: "Why yes. I've had TWO."
-
Sweeney Antoine: "Well what the heck is that about? I come back here and check this card every Wednesday and Sunday, and I haven't seen my name once. I'm starting to think they're paying me just to test the catering wares for everyone else."
-
Brother Thelonius: "This is not something to be proud of, Sailor Man. For the lettuces used in catering's salads are ICEBERG ON A GOOD DAY. And we all know there are much finer lettuces available for purchase, if only the spendthrift wrestling overlords wished to open their purses!
-
But that's a protest for another day. As a seasoned member of this roster of marginal athletes, I find myself feeling generous today. Let me show you the way to a career full of matches, Sailor! Join me, and learn to pursue the FINER PATH in life!"
-
Sweeney Antoine: "Hey man, that ice cream was good, and I appreciated the ride, but you're a little crazy for my blood.
-
And no offense, but two isn't that much greater than zero, ya know?
-
I don't need help, I just need bookings. And something tells me you're not the guy to advise me on getting them."
-
Sweeney begins to walk to the left of the frame in the general direction of catering. Brother Thelonius remains in place and tents his hands, staring menacingly in the direction of Sweeney's retreating form.
-
Brother Thelonius: "Fine, fine, Sailor Man. You go enjoy your salad and its UTTER LACK OF NUTRITIONAL VALUE. You'll see the light soon enough. You'll feel the urge to be great, and to enjoy the sweeter things in life.
-
And when that day comes, I'll be here, ready and waiting.
-
For mine is the sword of Michael, and yours is the shield of pointless cat-and-mouse games."
-
Brother Thelonius suddenly wheels on his heels and sprints from the frame, leaving only the booking board in view before the screen fades to black.
Steven Rausch

View user profile http://www.wordswithrausch.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top