The Revolution Will Not Be Glamorized

Go down

The Revolution Will Not Be Glamorized

Post  General Freedom on Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:55 am

The scene fades in on the smiling, poised, and magazine cover ready face of Candice Witt, framed tight enough that the top of her hair and the point of her chin are just outside of the camera's view.
-
Candice: "Good evening, CiR fans! I'm Candice Witt, and tonight I'm proud to bring to you a somewhat unorthodox interview with CiR's very own Annihilation Champion, General Freedom!"
-
The camera gradually pans to the left of frame while zooming out, revealing a heavily tagged up brick wall but also that, true to her word, Candice is accompanied by General Freedom, wearing his ubiquitous mask but also what are likely street clothes. At least, it seems unlikely that he is planning to wrestle in tattered bluejeans and red canvas high-tops, but likely that he is wearing a long sleeved T-shirt underneath a more traditonal crew neck T emblazoned with the logo of a wrestling promotion that could be considered a rival if it hadn't closed in mid-2000.
-
Candice: "General, thank you for joining us!"
-
General Freedom: "I appreciate your gratitude, but don't thank me yet. After all, I know we discussed the terms I wanted to impose on this interview and I intend to hold both of us to them equally."
-
Candice: "Oh, as do I. For those playing along at home or, you know, inside the arena, General Freedom has agreed to answer a question from me for each question he gets to ask me in return."
-
General Freedom smirks as he gently commandeers the stick microphone that he may more easily speak into it.
-
General Freedom: "And, for those of you out there who don't believe that I have it in me to fight against the established order of things, I'll be asking the first question."
-
Candice: "That you will be."
-
There is a pregnant pause.
-
Candice: "And you can go ahead and do that at any time."
-
General Freedom: "What's your opinion of Moxie Roxie?"
-
Candice loses her composure for the briefest fraction of a moment, but an astute viewer can pick up on it, particularly one familiar with her usual demeanor in these situations.
-
Candice: "The pop singer?"
-
The General chuckles politely.
-
General Freedom: "Yes. Now that I've answered that, I suppose you're going to owe me another answer since you went out of turn."
-
Candice looks momentarily vexed, but ultimately resurrects her polite poker face and continues the head-to-head interview.
-
Candice: "I, uh, I actually used to be really into her music. In fact, that's an understatement. I listened to that one album of hers, The Gold Album, pretty much non-stop for a while. Eventually, though, I decided that neither her music nor her public persona were really my cup of tea and moved on."
-
General Freedom: "Would you say that, for instance, the point at which you no longer enjoyed the cup of tea she represented may have come at, oh, I don't know, roughly the time she released the remastered special edition of The Gold Album?"
-
Candice: "Now that you mention it, it really was the strangest thing. I was going around, convinced that Moxie Roxie and her music were my absolute favorites, but once I heard the special edition I just couldn't stand it. Even assuming that the producers or engineers or whoever did the remastering messed with the mix, in many ways it felt like they were the exact same songs and still somehow not as good."
-
Candice shivers, looks down and off-screen where one might presume her feet to be, then gets back into her role as interviewer to speak up despite the expression of deep discomfort that she is fighting to keep off her face.
-
Candice: "What's your take on your match with Rated RS on last week's Bloodshed?"
-
General Freedom: "I know he's a great wrestler and, moreover, he seems like a guy I might be able to get along with in any other context, which is to say a context in which we are not contractually obligated to beat the *CENSORED* out of each other and could get to know a little more about each other than how each of us prefers to inflict pain or immobilize a wrestling opponent. The match went about how I expected it would, at least up until the end. Still, I believe he's destined for still greater things in this industry than he's already achieved, and I commend him for that. What's your favorite dinosaur?"
-
Candice: "Wait, what?"
-
General Freedom grins disarmingly.
-
General Freedom: "I asked you what your favorite dinosaur is. Unfortunately, it would seem that you owe me another bonus answer once you answer that most recent question!"
-
At this point, Candice seems to be barely even trying to maintain her composure.
-
Candice: "My favorite dinosaur is the tyrannosaurus rex, same as anyone with their priorities straight in life."
-
General Freedom: "Do you have any idea what the purpose is of this revolution that I am pouring everything I have and then some I've got on loan into?"
-
Candice finally seems to have found her opening and seeks to exploit it.
-
Candice: "No, not at all. So, 'General,' how many 'battles' have you fought in?"
-
General Freedom: "At this point, too many. We sought to effect revolutionary changes to the established order through peaceful means, but the established order fought back hard, and we in turn stood our ground as best we could. People I know well and care about deeply have gone through absolutely horrific experiences in service of the cause, and I won't burden you or the network censors with the details. Suffice to say that when conflict has become unavoidable, I have led by example and led from the front lines as often as possible. Do you know there's a war going on for your mind?"
-
Candice: "I don't know that because, no offense, I don't believe it to be true. Why do you wear the mask?"
-
General Freedom: "In the words of Oscar Wilde, 'Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.' Do you know why I asked you about Moxie Roxie?"
-
Candice: "I truly have no idea. What makes you so special that you think you have this obligation to smash the state, liberate the people, free the world, or whatever it is you're trying to do?"
-
General Freedom sighs.
-
General Freedom: "Funny enough, but I turn to a quote credited to a politician from the Bad Old Days, Thomas Babington Macaulay. 'The measure of a man’s real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.' Or, maybe, this Henry James chestnut is more your speed. 'We work in the dark--we do what we can--we give what we have.' When you look around at the world and see legislation written to obfuscate, cops incentivized to charge regardless of whether a crime was committed, and prosecutors whose career success depends purely upon convictions irrespective to guilt, when this broken system thrives in broad daylight, don't you ever get tempted to work in the dark?"
-
Candice: "I don't, but I suppose that you do is what makes you so- er, makes you believe that you're so special. Good luck in your match tonight, General. Do you have any parting words for the CiR fans out there?"
-
General Freedom: "I never said this would be easy, but few worthwhile things come without effort. I never said to believe in me, but have always been adamant that you, each and every one of you, should learn to believe in yourselves. I never said never, and now I can confidently say someday. One thing I've always said, though, is "
-
"Say you want a revolution."
-
The camera pans again to focus on a medium close shot of the General, then abruptly dolly zooms in such a way that the brick wall behind him seems to loom more and more ominously over his shoulders until the scene fades to black.
-
General Freedom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum